“Here is land, tranquil in its quiet beauty, serving not as the source of water, but as the last receiver of it. To its natural abundance we owe the spectacular plant and animal life that distinguishes this place from all others in our country,” (President Harry S Truman, address at the Dedication of Everglades National Park). In 1947, President Truman set aside 1.3 million acres of land for the Everglades National Park in response to public concern sparked by Marjory Stoneman Douglas’s book, “River of Grass.” A year later, however, the Army Corps of Engineers started building canals and changing the natural flow of the Everglades to hold more water up north for irrigation purposes. For the past thirty years, environmental groups have made some progress in restoring the Everglades to its natural habitat. Part of the problem these groups face is a constant battle in legislation over the importance of preserving the land. As Truman mentioned in his dedication speech, the Everglades has a softer beauty to it. Sometimes, you have to take a closer look to see beyond the miles of unchanging Sawgrass into the natural wonder of this land.